Assessment of, for, as Learning
- The purpose of assessment of learning is to evaluate a student's knowledge, competence and progress.
- The purpose of assessment for learning is for teachers to better understand their students' needs and to modify their teaching in order to make it more responsive to students' needs.
- The purpose of assessment as is for students to better understand their thinking and to have a more active role in their learning by engaging in self-monitoring and self-evaluation.
Recommendations for assessment for learning (from reading 1):
- "Pretest before a unit of study and adjust instruction for individuals or the entire group"
- Based on assessment results, "facilitate peer tutoring, matching students who demonstrate understanding with those who do not"
- Feedback on assessment should provide guidance for students to improve their learning: "Descriptive feedback should provide ways for students to improve in clear, constructive language. Instead of simply labeling student errors or omissions, effective feedback guides students to better performance throughout the learning process."
Recommendations for assessment for learning (from class discussion):
Recommendations for assessment as learning (from reading 1):
- Ask students to create practice tests and practice self-assessment.
- Ask students to answer the following questions: "where am I trying to go?", "where am I now?", "how do I close the gap?"